Hello. Wow. What an amazing first session of our Mississippi Cyclocross Project program today. Many thanks to all parents, kids and ambassadors. If you missed the kickoff, please join us next Saturday, September 30th from 10-11am. Please go to our website to register and complete the parent waiver at www.mscxproject.org.
Also, If you are a Facebook user, please like our program page at, www.facebook.com/mscxproject and share any videos/photos from today’s practice with us.
Finally, here’s a re-cap of what we did today at practice. Please make sure your kiddos get to ride their bike around the neighborhood or park at least 1-2 times this week as home work. Perhaps this can be a family event after school! Thank you for your support and see you next week.
Week 1 Session Re-cap:
- Warm Up for 10-15 minutes around the park or designated practice area.
- Break: Hydration and discussion of drills. 5-10 minutes:
- Drills: 20-25 minutes
- Cone Cornering: Tight cornering requires that you lean the bike over a bit. To help the kids practice, have him/her weave through a line of four or five safety cones or similar objects, each spaced about 8 feet apart. As his/her skill improves, encourage her to go faster, or move the cones out of a straight line so that they are staggered, and she has to turn more to get around each cone.
- Follow the Leader: This is a fun, easy way to get things going following the cone cornering. One rider can take the reins here and lead the group around the park. The idea here is not speed but dexterity. Impose a maximum speed limit or give points for being the slowest to complete an obstacle course without touching down.
- Program Celebration/Graduation: We will celebrate the culmination of our program with a Cyclocross race. This will be an opportunity for the participants to showcase the newly learned skills. The celebration, Ridgeland Cyclocross Festival, will take place on Saturday, November 18th, at Freedom Ridge Park. You can register your kiddos and if you would like, you can also participate as we will have adult categories. The registration and event details are available at www.RidgelandCyclocrossFestival.com. If you are interested in being part of our Ridgeland Cyclocross Festival planning committee, please reach Coach Rolando at email@example.com.
- Bike Shop Partner Discounts. Present the program coupon at any of our partner bike shops; The Bike Crossing, Indian Cycle, Bicycle Revolution and The Bike Rack. Your kiddos will receive 10% off your purchase, and an additional 10% will be donated to the Mississippi Cyclocross Project! Please shop locally and support our brick & mortar shops! Access coupon at http://mscxproject.org/partner-benefits/.
- Pre-Order the Mississippi Cyclocross Project cycling kits (gear): We have designed a cool jersey for our program in partnership with RideBike Alliance. This is not required, however if you wish to purchase them, please visit the club store via our partner RideBiker Alliance, where you can register and shop our on-line store. Please allow 3-5 weeks for the gear to be produced and shipped to you.
- Our Hydration Sponsor. Nuun will provide us product that will be available at all training sessions and a discount code for parent to purchase their product at a special Mississippi Cyclocross Project rate. Discount code details below:
- Orders athttps://nuunlife.com/shop
- Promo code: kidscxproject
- Discount: 30% off
Mississippi Cyclocross Project Ambassadors